Monday, May 18, 2009

Sunday, bloody Sunday

The AccidentSo yesterday afternoon I decided I REALLY just HAD to go to the Boardwalk. Lucas and I got the kids ready and went to Buffalo Wild Wings. (1.99 kids meals all day Sundays !) Then we rode the "Charlie" (trolley). then I just HAD to go into the linen store. Ayden was pouty and not paying attention and running around. I had been on him all night about it. All the sudden WHAM right into a support beam of some type. I didn't actually see it happen. He came cowering over to me holding his head and my first instinct was to start telling him "I told you so- stop running in stores!." Then I looked at his head and saw blood. Everywhere. We ran to the checkout girl who, while turning green, gave us some paper towels which got us to the bathroom. I had planned on cleaning him up a little but saw the wound and realized a trip to the ER was necessary! It was crowded, and as we sat there we people watched. What else do you do in an ER? The funny thing was that there were three other little boys who were all five or six with very similar injuries! All of them had some sort of rag or bandage on their head or face and were curled up in their daddy's arms. What is with five year olds and wanting to damage their heads??? We should be issued helmets for these two years. One little boy had gotten hit with a bat above his eye. One had stepped on some kid of sharp plastic in the mud in a neighbors backyard. Another had a large wound on his cheek. Ayden did great- well as great as he could. He was fine waiting... for hours and hours. As soon as the doctor got ready to do the "repair" he panicked. He all but ran out of the room so they had to bring out the papoose thing and strap his little body down. I was above his head, out of the docs way, but his face was pointed towards me and he was screaming "mommy help me, make it stop". Not fun.. but we survived and as soon as the lidocaine started working he was fine. He is very proud of the three STAPLES he now has on the side of his head. We wont be doing any sprinklers or running around until they come out though.

My Recommendation/ Lessons learned:
Lock your five and six year old boys in a padded room. do not let them out. If let out wear full body armour all the time.
And about our local ER. I LOVE this hospital.. the staff are great, the doctors great... the Er?? HORRIBLE. Not that the people making you wait for hours on end aren't kind and patient and helpful.. but really. We sat with creepy BLEEDING people for HOURS. If my head had been on straight I would have taken my 25$ co-pay to the urgent care next door. Even if you have to pay more out of pocket than that, they are open 7-7 and would have seen us so much faster! This ER is very busy.

And finally. If you want a quiet Sunday with your husband STAY HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment