Saturday, January 24, 2009

Homeschool mama, end of week three

Our third week of homeschooling has ended. It was actually only the second because A's "Colorado" parents were here visiting so we only did his short phonics lessons for the first week. Here is a list of things I have learned.
1. I really like this
2. My son needed this all along
3. His teacher was an idiot. I know, harsh words, but its where I'm at right now.
4. My son is really, really, really smart.
5. My son can be equally frustrating.
6. Trying to get a lesson done in time to get to early morning activities outside the home is pointless, wait till later.
7. There are thousands of free websites that offer printable materials. Awesome.
8. I'm going to have to find more "me time."
9. The library is a sacred place.
10. This really was a God driven decision and his blessings are proving it.
11. I may have to hire a maid. Not really, but it would help!

Current "curriculum" list. Suggestions appreciated.
Phonics: 100 easy lessons. Working GREAT! Also reading Word Bird books and Dr. Seuss early readers. Lit: Reading Tale of Despereaux Memory work/Dictation "The Months by Sara Coleridge" thanks to the Simply Charlotte Mason Website. Math: Singapore Math We are using investigative methods for other subjects. Like for last week we watched some of the inauguration coverage.. though I will admit I turned the channel when I started hearing it referred to as a coronation. I serve one King and sorry Mr. President, you are not Him. Anyway we watched the coverage and talked about government. We are watching science videos and reading some non fiction books. The biggest problem I'm having is keeping myself organzized. Not a surprise! We'll see how week four goes! When A finishes memorizing this poem we're going to record it and have a blog recitation:-). You will have to join us.

Other updates: I did NOT send out a holiday letter so dont feel left out, and A does not need glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment