Thursday, July 29, 2010

duh-duh-duh-duh Dentist....

Today was D day around here. Dentist day. It was Mudbugs first and Eagles second visit. When Eagle was four and we were on government health care we took him in and he was traumatized. They insisted on attempting to do sealants.. on a non compliant four year old! (The Dentist today didnt even mention them...) SCAM. Your children do not need sealants at four years of age. Just because a clinic can charge the government to make more money by holding down your baby and scaring the bejeezus out of them... whew. (Taking a hormonal breather)... Anyway. Like I said. He was traumatized and refused to go back in. We would have gone last summer but of course there was the big lay off issue so we did not :-). Today I went with the less is more aproach. I told them last week in passing that we had a Dentist appointment. Reminded them last night and then we just went. Mudbug was super excited. He wanted to have his teeth counted. He fought to go back before they called us. "I'll go by myself. You can stay here, and Eagle. I go, you stay, okay?" We all went back, together. Our little troop. He got right up in the chair and opened wide. They were even able to give him a good cleaning. He especially LOVED the sucker tube thingy. As he was being examined big brother got a silly grin on his face and leaned into me and whispered "thats not so bad." Nope. So when it was his turn he did AWESOME as well. Got x-rays and a cleaning and flouride treatment too. No cavities :-). The Dentists oohed and ahhed and said he was doing a great job brushing. So I felt a little better about taking so long to get him in. Now to confess how long its been since I went. Lets just say it was in my teens and leave it at that. The boys got goodie bags. I could tell the Dentist does not get that many young patients. There were helium balloons, full packaged prizes like you would buy at the dollar store. Mudbug got a bubble set with bubbles and all kinds of different blowers. Eagle got a miniature frisbee shooter. And of course tooth brushes, toothpaste and floss you pull out of a shark. Something tells me I wont get a goodie bag when I finally drag myself in. I will though. At least I'll start by making an appointment for after the baby comes. After all.... "its not so bad"......

No comments:

Post a Comment