Saturday, May 10, 2008

My new job title

JUST A MOM?

> > A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 's
office,
> > was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.
> >
> > She hesitated, uncertain how t o classify herself.
> >
> > 'What I mean is, ' explained the recorder,
> > 'do you have a job or are you just a ...?'
> >
> > 'Of course I have a job,' snapped the woman.
> >
> > 'I'm a Mom.'
> >
> > 'We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation,
> > 'housewife' covers it,'
> > Said the recorder emphatically.
> >
> >
> > I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself
> > in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.
> > The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised,
> > efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like,
> > 'Official Interrogator' or 'Town Registrar.'
> >
> > 'What is your occupation?' she probed.
> >
> > What made me say it? I do not know.
> > The words simply popped out.
> > 'I'm a Research Associate in the field of
> > Child Development and Human Relations.'
> >
> > The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in m midair and
> > looked up as though she had not heard right.
> >
> > I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words.
> > Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written,
> > in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.
> >
> > 'Might I ask,' said the clerk with new interest,
> > 'just what you do in your field?'
> >
> > Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice,
> > I heard myself reply,
> > 'I have a continuing program of research,
> > (what mother doesn't)
> > In the laboratory and in the field,
> > (normally I would have said indoors and out).
> > I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole
family)
> > and already have four credits (all daughters).
> > Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities,
> > (any mother care to disagree?)
> > and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it).
> > But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers
> > and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money.'
> >
> > There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she
> > completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.
> >
> > As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career,
> > I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3.
> > Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model,
> > (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program,
> > testing out a new vocal pattern.
> > I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy!
> > And I had gone on the official records as someone more
> > distinguished and indispensable to mankind than 'just another Mom.'

> > Motherhood!
> >
> > What a glorious career!
> > Especially when there's a title on the door.
> >
> > Does this make grandmothers
> > ' Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and
> > Human Relations'
> > And great grandmothers
> > 'Executive Senior Research Associates?'
> > I think so!!!
> > I also think it makes Aunts '
> > Associate Research Assistants.'

No comments:

Post a Comment