Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bundt of the month: February


I am making an effort this year to celebrate more with my children and expand my baking vocabulary. A simple and yummy way I'm going to do this is to make a monthly bundt cake! I know. It is going to be so difficult to indulge in one of the concoctions each month, but if I have to I will. You know, for the children. Here is February's (made for valentines day)... enjoy


Chocolate Covered  Cherry Bundt cake 
1 box Moist Delux white cake mix
1 large jar  maraschino cherries
3/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/2 cup melted butter
4 egg whites
Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt cake pan and set aside. Separate Cherries from juice, reserve juice. Slice cherries into small pieces. Avoid nibbling on too many.. they will taste even better in the cake! Mix cake mix with 1/2 cup of butter and juice from the cherries (make sure juice is about 1 cup.. if less add water to equal). Mix in egg whites. Stir in sliced cherries. Your mixture will be a beautiful pink color if you had enough juice. Feel free to add food coloring if you want, but make sure you use taste free if you use red! Scoop half the mixture into the cake pan. Now add chocolate syrup to the cake mix. Resist the urge to find a big straw. Pour chocolate onto cherry layer. Use your spoon to gently marble the mixture. Bake for about an hour or until middle is cooked (clean knife test). I let mine cool for a little while before turning it out onto a baking rack. After completely cool you can ice with a royal icing drizzle. My recipe wasn't very good so I'm not sharing! I colored mine pink and then added sparkly red sprinkles to the top of the cake after drizzling the icing.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! You posted this just in time because I have to bring a cake for a birthday at work on Tuesday and I was wanting to make a bundt cake, but didn't know what kind. I'm going to use this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete